Color Blind: A Memoir

Color Blind: A Memoir - Precious Williams A mother decided she couldn’t, or wouldn’t, raise a child. She wasn’t struggling to make ends meet. She wasn’t a student trying to obtain a degree. In fact, she was a Nigerian princess. Yet one September day in 1971, she dropped her daughter off in a basket on a white woman’s doorstep.

Private fostering is supposed to be temporary; yet, nothing about Precious Anita Williams life is traditional. Her case is a little different. She lives in a small English town called Woodview with a white sixty-year-old foster mother, Nanny, and her invalid husband, Gramps. Their doormat may say welcome, but they discourage visitors. They rarely even want to welcome Precious’ birth mother, Lizzy.

Over the years, Precious’ family and friends consist of a close-knit bond of just Nanny, Gramps, Aunt Wendy, and Uncle Mick. Other foster children come and go, but their stay is short-lived. Lizzy visits occasionally, interrupting their comfortable home routine. Her random visits usually end with her telling Nanny how to run her household, threatening to take Precious away for good, and believing that material things and money are all that a parent has to provide. Through it all, Precious still manages to realize at a young age that the African rich world she is from isn’t for her. Yet, she doesn’t quite fit into the white world either.

Imagine wanting to learn your roots. Wondering about your rich family history and how you belong. What would it be like to live in Africa? What about the character that Nanny claims is a “living spit” of Precious? What is Topsy of Uncle Tom’s Cabin really like? One day Precious gets the answer to all of these questions, leaving her even more isolated.

Its no wonder when Precious has her own daughter that she is unsure of what a mother’s role should be. “Having babies is something African women can do, but – from what I’ve seen in my life so far – it’s only white women who can be truly maternal.”

Precious finally manages to find the answer and her role in life. This memoir tells her story. It will give you insight into private fostering, issues of race, identity, struggles of color and class, and even a lesson on motherhood.

While reading, there were passages that touched my heart, and others that disturbed me. I still cannot determine whether Nanny was a good influence, or if Lizzy was capable of doing more for Precious. I definitely enjoyed this memoir and recommend to others. In fact, I encourage you to participate in the giveaway below. Add this book to your collection!

To read my interview with Precious Williams, please visit www.precisionreviews.blogspot.com

♥ L. Marie ♥